Chilli Prawns with Lemon Pesto

Spicy and citrus come together for a taste explosion

Whilst visiting family in Hungary recently I discovered an amazing herb called "citromfű " and brought a clipping home and successfully grew it.

In the UK it is called "Lemon Balm" technically Melissa officinalis.
At first glance I thought that it was stinging nettles but upon closer inspection realised it was different. When I quizzed my uncle about it he told me they use it in salads, soups and also a tea.
I just had to have a taste and plucked a leaf off popped it into my mouth and...WOW..it tasted amazing, like fresh lemon but without the sharpness.

This got me thinking, maybe I could make a pesto dressing with this to go with fish or seafood.
So I got creative and made this tasty dish.

Give it a try and let me know your thoughts.

Lemon Pesto :-

4 tbsp - Olive Oil
1 Cup Lemon Balm (Leaves only not stems)
1 Clove of garlic
1 tsp Pine Nuts (optional)
Pinch of salt and pepper

Place all ingredients into the cup and blend with a hand blender. If the mixture is too thick add a little more olive oil.

Prawns

10 King prawns
fresh or defrosted, raw are better if you can get them just make sure to cook them though until pink in colour.
1 clove of garlic (finely chopped)
1 tbsp of butter or olive oil
1 red chilli finely chopped (de-seeded if you don't want it too spicy, or add more if you like your spice)
Pinch of salt

Method:-

Heat a skillet, fry pan or wok to a medium heat and melt the butter, if using, or add the oil.
Add the chilli and garlic and reduce the heat to simmer the chilli and garlic careful not to burn the garlic as this will make it bitter.
Add the prawns and cook on a medium heat 3-4 minutes for pre-cooked defrosted prawns, 7-8 minutes for raw, constantly stirring as not to burn any of the ingredients.

On a plate put some mixed leaf salad, or even lettuce, place the prawns on top and drizzle the lemon pesto around the plate, garnish with a fresh chilli if desired.

You're done...enjoy



Comments

Popular posts from this blog